It's All About Ports
This instructional course has been designed for nurses caring for the patient with an implanted venous port. The use of this particular type of central venous access device is different, in some ways, from the other types of central lines. Therefore, education related specifically to the implanted venous port is crucial to the safe and effective use of the device.
In early 2021, the Infusion Nurses Society (INS), recognized as the global authority in infusion therapy, released the updated Infusion Therapy Standards of Practice. The INS sets the accepted standards for infusion therapy practice for all healthcare settings. This course is based on the current best practices as defined by the Infusion Nursing Society and other governing agencies such as the CDC, and FDA.
State Boards of Nursing have varying positions on the role of the LPN/LVN in the administration of infusion therapy, including the use of implanted venous ports. Competency requirements are obtained and maintained through the nurse’s employer, facility or institution.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Distinguish an implanted venous port from other types of central venous access devices.
- Describe the procedure for accessing and de-accessing an implanted port.
- Describe the procedure for drawing a blood specimen from a port.
- State at least 3 potential port complications.
Chapter 1: Description
- Port vs. Other Central Venous Access Devices
- Advantages and Disadvantages
Chapter 2: Assessment and Preparations for Implanted Port
- Assessment Criteria for Insertion of an Implanted Port
- Preparations for Implanted Venous Port
Chapter 3: Accessing a Port
- Needle Choice
Chapter 4: De-accessing a Port
Chapter 5: Drawing Blood from a Port
Chapter 6: Complications
- Malpositioned Catheter
- Reservoir Malposition
- Catheter Separation
- Catheter Occlusion
- Site Infection
- Catheter Related Bloodstream Infection (CRBSI) or Septicemia
- Skin Breakdown
Chapter 7: Resources
- California Bill 241
- Implicit Bias in Healthcare
- What is Implicit Bias?
- Implications of Implicit Bias in Healthcare
- How to Reduce Implicit Bias